Here’s my summary of the rugby year in video, albeit with an ever so slightly Irish bias. Running total: 20 clips and counting.
Six Nations 2006
France won the competition on points difference over Ireland , who again win the Triple Crown by beating Wales , Scotland and England . Ita-who?
- Ireland 26 v 16 Italy
- France 43 v 31 Ireland – almost the greatest comebacks in history, if only the game had been 15 minutes longer
- France 31 v 6 England Youtube video highlights
- Ireland 31 v 5 Wales
- Ireland 15 v Scotland 9
- England 24 v Ireland 28 YouTube video highlights (which also includes Wales – France)
Yes, unfortunately in 2006, there were only 6 games played.
Celtic League 2006 :
The league went down to the last round with Ulster and Leinster both in contention. With Leinster’s victory over Edinburgh and with Ulster losing against the Ospreys, it looked like the title would go to the Dubs but David Humphreys had other ideas. He kicked a last minute 40 metre drop goal to take the game and the title for Ulster.
This years competition, now with the title sponsorship from Magners, started with Ulster the team to beat. They’re still leading the table with only 3 losses, including losing to Leinster the famous “Last Stand” – the actual last game in the old Lansdowne Road. That victory put Leinster second. Here’s a moment of genius from Brian O’Driscoll in that game:
- BOD self-pass during The Last Stand on New Years Eve – YouTube video (35s)
- Tries from Hickie, Finegan and Heaslip in that game
Heineken Cup 2006
Even if you’re dead, you probably still know that Munster won the 2006 Heineken Cup, their 28th attempt in recent history.
They beat Biarritz (who went on to become French champions) 23 points to 19 in the fantastic Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, which seems to be turning out to be just as good a hunting ground for Irish teams as it’s predecessor was.
- Munster 23 Biarritz 19 YouTube video highlights of the final
- Aussie Rugby Tribute for the 2006 Tri-Nations YouTube video highlights (10 mins)
Ireland tour New Zealand
- New Zealand 27 – 17 Ireland, Auckland, NZ. YouTube video highlights
Another “nearly” game – two stupid mistakes cost us dearly. We have still to record our first victory over them. Let it be October 20th 2007, may it please you, oh rugby Gods!
The AB’s didn’t make the mistake of underestimating us in the 2nd game.
Autumn International Series
I couldn’t leave out this fantastic television ad for the series! I wouldn’t have left out that fantastic television ad but for the fact that the buggers had it removed. What kind of idiot broadcaster demands removal of an advertisement for itself?
- New Zealand 41 – 20 England YouTube video highlights (10 mins)
- New Zealand 47 – 3 France (!) YouTube video highlights (2m 40s)
A master class of a first half from Ireland, utterly destroying the Australia ns while playing into the weather in the first half. Sweet, sweet victory to lord over the Masters of Gloat from Down Under.
- Ireland 61 – 17 Pacific Islands : YouTube video highlights (9 mins)
Try of the Year?
And just to shift gears for a minute, I’ll have to agree with the South Africa commentators who suggest that this is probably the try of 2006. Well, it’s definitely the individual try of the year… a 20 phase try from you know who might also be in the running!
I was so disappointed that the cool ad for the Autumns was pulled, maybe this will make up somewhat… comparison of rugby and soccer WC finals:
- Donnacha O’Callaghan shows the girls his cheeky side during Munster vs Cardiff in the Heinken Cup
- France 2007 ad: soccer vs rugby on YouTube
- Here’s some more athletics and football videos over at AthleticsVideo.com
Ok, that’s it for the moment. Not a bad year for Irish rugby – here’s hoping 2007 is a step (or two) better, eh Tom?
Leave a comment with video links for other games you think I should add, or in the highly unlikely chance that I’ve made a mistake with match details.